Tuesday 27 July 2010

B is for...

Burren (Bhoireann)

Burren, or the Burren as it is now more commonly known, literally means Rocky Place and it is easy to see why. It can be found in Co. Clare in west Ireland and it is a stunning place.

It's the youngest landscape of Europe and has suffered a great deal during the last ice age (about 10,000 years ago). The landscape is formed of limestone which was laid millions of years ago in a shallow warm sea and is a result of dying sea plants and animals. When the last ice age ended, gletschers scraped off the top of the seabed and left the current situation.

At first glance the whole area looks devoid of life and containing only rocks. When you look closer though, you will see plants and small animals everywhere. It is in fact the most diverse habitat of the whole Irish island, containing plants that are usually found in both Alpine and Mediterranean regions.

The Burren end in the Atlantic Ocean with the Cliffs of Moher

Turloughs are holes in the rocks which are usually filled with grass. When it rains those holes fill up with water, usually from the bottom up (the ground water level rises). Some of those holes can be filled with water even in dry weather, others only fill up with very heavy rainfall.

Clints are blocks of limestone that make up the ground. Grykes are the lines that cut through the clints. The most important ones run from North to South and the lesser important ones run on both sides at even angles. The colour of the limestone (especially when seen from a distance) is a grey lilac colour, also depending on the weather. The further down you get, the more covered the rocks are with bushes and grasses.

In the area there are quite a few historical and archeological sites. Megalithic tombs, portal dolmen (amongst them Poulnabrone Dolmen), ring forts and Celtic Crosses can be found here.

For more B-words from around the world, please check out ABC Wednesday and join in the fun!

Photos taken in July 2009 in Ireland

28 comments:

  1. Oh! how interesting your B post is today. I agree it is a very rocky place. Sometimes when I see movies made in Ireland, they always have people over looking a rocky place or running around through all the rocks. So I guess Ireland is a very rocky place after all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a very interesting post for the B day! Love your photos! It does look rocky! Hope your week is going well, enjoy!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do want to go to Ireland and I'd love to go here! It would be just fascinating to poke around in those holes and examine all the plants etc. I'd have to be jolly careful how I walked though, or I'd have two twisted ankles in no time flat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! Lovely! And that coast is breathtaking (in many ways). Thatnks for taking me there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks lovely. I love limestone, they use it on the front of many homes here in the USA. Thank you for all the history around it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the feeling that comes to me from your second photograph, and I totally appreciate your text. You have an engrossing writing style. Now ideas of travelling around the Irish island are swimming around in my head. Thank you sooo much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I learned a lot from this post and I love the texture of the burren.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always learn so much from ABC Wednesday. Today is no exception. there are a lot of new words about a strangely beautiful landscape.
    I didn't see any Gnomes there either....

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an interesting B post. I enlarged both photos. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing so much interesting info about the burren. Great photos as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely beautiful. Fascinating geologic information in this post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. it does look BARREN, but beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lot of interesting information. It fascinates me to know the geological history of places, and I think with awe about the forces of nature formed them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been to the Burren so I know first hand how remarkable an area it is. And the Cliffs of Moher are always breathtaking... no matter how windy, cold or rainy the day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always feel as if I have had a good day out when I read your posts. They are so informative with all the interesting details about places that make them so special.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just goes to show you that Mother Nature will always find a way to reclaim any barren piece of land with something!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Weighty matters, indeed, the burren. Is this why the Irish sometimes feel between a rock and hard place?
    Sorry to be cheeky when really I loved your photo essay on the geology of Ireland, good information and fantastic photos!
    Thank you!
    HelenMac
    ABC team

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous! It would be great to go there some day. Until then, thank you for the picture...it takes me there in a way!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Completely fascinating..It sends me into states of wonder and awe to imagine the massive geological changes that took place thousands of years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  20. wonderful view...interesting entry indeed!

    mine is up as well!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beuatiful! I can almost feel the breeze across the land.

    ReplyDelete
  22. ack! I just read your shortcake recipe and got myself saddled into baking today :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I especially enjoy the coastal picture. You are right, it is always different when you take a closer look.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great post as always Mara - I love the Irish countryside and coastline too. A

    ReplyDelete
  25. Isn't Nature just fantastic? Very interesting post, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That's very like the limestone areas in Yorkshire. It has rivers that rise to the surface and then disappear for miles underground. Yorkshire's limestone is white and has some caverns and caves. I love the photo of the cliffs.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your ABC posts. They are always so informative.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Indeed the first look of your picture, its seems such as desolated area. Life is amazing, they can thrive in all kinds of places.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!