Sunday 15 May 2011

Family

Today was the day my family met again. Out of the 52 possible family members, 49 showed up. From the oldest who is nearly 70 to the youngest who is only one month old. The last time we had a big family reunion was four years ago and babies from then were now actual children! We've also had some additions in the form of new babies and partners, which is always nice.

All week the weather had threatened to throw a massive spanner in the works. After weeks of dry warm weather, this week the weather changed and more and more rain was coming in. But apart from the one big shower which lasted all of two minutes, we had a lovely sunny and dry day. There was a lot of room both inside and out, there were footballs, bubble makers and pavement chalk for the children and enough food and drink to feed a small army. And I should know, since I went shopping for it all yesterday! Two shopping trolleys that were overflowing!

The grown-ups all chatted to each other, talking about jobs, my emigration plans, the new baby, the new baby that is still on the way. There was laughter and of course there were also some tears. I had organised a relay which failed spectacularly (everybody started at the same time) and in the afternoon there was a serious game of football (the proper version with a round ball) going on between several of my cousins with a few children in it as well.

Unfortunately I didn't see a lot, since I was one of the organisers and the word delegate doesn't seem to be in my vocabulary. Although there was plenty of help from the aunties and cousins and even if some were grumbling a bit, they did it in good nature. So, all in all, it was a great day.

For obvious reasons I will not place any photos of my family on here, although the photo at the top does show my cousin who helped me with the groceries.

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had help with the groceries.
    So, Ms Organizer Non-delegator, does this mean you are good and thoroughly well? No more headaches.
    Nag, nag, nag.
    I would have thought your recent illness would have qualified you to sit in a chair and do nothing, but I can't imagine you allowing that to happen!
    Hi from Dick and Lindy (your Alberta "family").
    — K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had a wonderful day.
    How awesome to see so many family members in one place. Sounds like you did a lot to put this party on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just hope you had a nice time

    ReplyDelete
  4. Obvious reasons ? why ? are they all so ugly ? where took this wonderful event place ? In your home or did you rent something or did I miss something ?
    It's nice to have such a big family, we would be 6 people, with the cousins I have no contact thanks to my father.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So wonderful that you had a great day! I love family reunions, and wish our family had them more often!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds wonderful! What a challenge, though, to gather together so many relations . . . it's so good when everyone gets together:-)

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!