Wednesday 12 September 2012

I is for...

Ice Skating

It's been a few years since I last bound under the skates (this is a literal translation of the Dutch expression, before any of you start in on me about my bad grammar), but in the winter of 2012 I got the chance to take some photos of other people skating.

In early February it was cold, very cold. About minus twenty cold! Windscreen frozen on the inside and all that. But during the day the sun came out and it was quite pleasant to take a walk in the snow. Until we got to the lake. We had two options: return the way we came or go the long way round. I came up with option number three: go across the lake, it was frozen over!

As soon as we hit the lake, we realised we weren't the first ones: we could see tracks made by other people. And then we saw those other people, on skates, making skating tracks right next to their own footsteps. Since we knew the area they had walked on was safe, we followed their tracks and made it safely across the lake. Only slipping a few times...

This is the letter I for ABC Wednesday. Why not join?

8 comments:

  1. What a freezing post ! I hate winter, so please let me be in summer ! This morning 7° brrrr !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brr! Altho ice skating is a pleasurable pastime, I don't think that I am quite ready for the winter season! Kate, ABC Team

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Cold here now.
    Denise ABC Team

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't do winter sports - too cold.
    "Skating away on the thin ice of a new day." - Jethro Tull

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very wise to follow others' tracks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love winter - we rarely get snow where I live though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's fun to walk on water in winter, and to skate too if that's your thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the photos. I haven't been skating in forever!

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!