Tuesday 16 April 2013

Proportionally big

Skinny period in Italy. Without glasses, but with a tan!
There was a health check at work today. Everybody who wanted could get their BMI, fat ratio, blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol checked out. So I did. The first thing I had to do was take of my shoes and socks and stand on some type of scales. The weight wasn't a big surprise, if you don't count the fact that it was less than when I still lived in the Netherlands that is. However the lady told me something else. 

I have always thought of myself as proportionally big. In recent years anyway. Before I was normal or too skinny. Now I am big. Not according to her though. She said I was obese. Top end of the scale obese. Unhealthily so! BMI of 34,8. Fat just below 45%. She gave me a lecture. Move more, eat less. Loose at least 8 kg (about 20 pounds). Get within a healthier range. 

Next was blood pressure. Which was at its normal level 130 over 80. It has never varied that much. She pricked my finger to get some blood. My blood sugar was within a healthy range: 5,3 which is between 4 and 6 and that's as it should be. And my cholesterol was fine too. Low in fact at 3,94. 

So, I have a goal. Loose weight and lessen my chances of heart disease, diabetes and other nasty things I don't want. Now, where did I put that chocolate?? 

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I know the feeling. Dick has even called me obese, which caused a great flood of tears, that's for sure.
    When I was your age, I was still fairly slim. I'd gone up one dress size, that's all. But when doctors put me on corticosteroids, I blew up like a balloon, and it has never gone away. My blood sugar went bad, and so did my eyes and bones.
    The side effects of prednisone were far worse than the disease for which it was prescribed, and it was a very grim illness, too. Then my doctor told me some people can't lose steroid fat.
    If losing 20 lbs. will save you from heart disease, I'm sure you can do it. Dick has slimmed down a whole lot, but he's not addicted to chocolate!
    Thinking of you, and wishing you the best for your health.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well since you are younger than me I am going to say one thing. Get the weight under control because as you age the weight will end up giving you high blood pressure. I still have 40 pounds to lose. I know you can do it! Glad to hear that everything else was in a good range.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the feeling. Sadly. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recommend you read before starting any diet..fat!so. By marilyn Wann, a book. Dances with fat, ragen chaistain, a blog. Health at evry size, linda bacon, a book. I can give you more. All show research that being obese is not direct casaulity for health problems...and the bmi chart was created by a mathematician not to measure health.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Called obese at work!! that is the lowest of the low. Look for a new job.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!