Wednesday 16 March 2016

Mice

Lately my attention has shifted from socks to mice. After all, you can never have too many sock wool, but there is a limit to how many socks you can wear at any one time! Of course it doesn't mean I will give up the socks, but for now my attention as I said has shifted. 

It all started with my sister. When she arrived last year to look after me after my operation (which happened two days after she had gone home), she had brought with her the mouse. Grandmother's mouse. It was in dire need of some tlc and even more in need of some severe repair. And then she said: can you make a new one for me? Of cour....

Fast forward a year and thanks to an old school friend I got a pattern. Adjusting and changing it I made a mouse that looked remarkable like the one my grandmother had made. I was as surprised as anything! And then I made another one. And another one. And there will be even more to come. Because the amount of yarn I have in storage ever since living in England a lifetime ago, will finally be used. 

The eventual plan will be to sell the mice. And fifty percent of the price will go directly to the Norwegian Red Cross. In honour of my grandmother (Dutch Red Cross) and my sister (Northern Irish Red Cross). But that is eventual. First I have to make lots more. Possibly even some with a squeak (thank you Sarge for the idea). So, if I am missing in action: I am making new friends!!!

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations ! they really look very cute !I am sure they will sell easily !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, Mara. The kind of mice that people like to have in their homes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    Have you started your orders list????? Mice do breed quickly, so I think you will have plenty in short sticks!!! what a great idea for a fundraiser... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't started an orders list yet. Since nobody put in an order yet!

      As for them breeding quickly, I can make one in a day, but need to do just that: mousemaking. If not, it will take me about three to four days (read evenings) to make one.

      Delete
    2. Yam, you made me LOL with the mice breeding fast! Mara, good on you for carrying on such a great tradition!

      Delete
  4. Wow those mice are tiny! It takes nimble fingers to make small objects like that. Mom used to make Barbie dresses for my human sis. The armholes were the worst.
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are way too cute and how wonderful to have something fun to do while your watching TV. I love your plan for giving making a donation after selling them.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!